WELCOME!

We are a group of college students and professionals from Vietnam and the United States. This summer, we are coordinating a youth program for the children who are living at the Buu Tri pagoda and Hoi Tu Thien orphanages in Can Tho, Vietnam. This blog features a variety of pictures, reflections, profiles, and stories about the fun adventures we are having with the kids this summer. We hope you enjoy the blog and have fun along with us!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Meet Lâm, Volunteer Extraordinaire

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been working with some awesome college students who have taken an active leadership role throughout the design and delivery of our program. One of these students is Lâm. Going into his sophomore year as an information technology major at the National University of Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City, Lâm is a VietHope University Scholarship Program (USP) student and the only male among the five USP students I'm working with. He is also the only volunteer living at the pagoda full-time this summer.

Lâm's application to be a part of the program was one of the first I received, and one of the best. His eagerness to join the program and desire to devote his summer to community service was clear as could be. The kids absolutely ADORE him; he's already proven himself to be a special role model in their lives. Below is a reflection Lâm wrote about his experiences so far. He wanted to share it with you via this blog.

The August this year happens to me like an accident. Everything seems to be a favor. This is not the time period of rest but service.

It is the first time I have been here--a western province. I was amazed by the beautiful, peace and modern Can Tho City. The center area is not different from HCM (Ho Chi Minh) City. Riding bicycle around the city, I discovered many its beauties. Many things look like secrets and need exploring.

I am here in a youth program to help the orphans in Buu Tri Pagoda have a nice summer. Buu Tri Pagoda is the home of nearly 50 orphans. They are here because of many reasons; most of them were abandoned by their parents when they were born. Nun "Su Co" and some others take care of them. They also get helps from benefactor and benefactress in foreign country.

Some days ago, I was quite fortunate to have a trip to Phan Thiet with them. On our way to Phan Thiet, I'm very admired to see the older sisters looking after all the kids. They love and care for the children so much. They work so hard and sacrifice much to care for them, including cleaning the children's smelly messes. Maybe a mother who do this for her child might feel sad on a trip. The more I observed them, the more I admired. It's very difficult for women to care the kids if they don't love them. Therefore, I can realize a warm heart inside these women.


The trip ended and I began to follow our schedule. I hope to do something for these kids to bring them funs during the time I live here. I also wish these children will get more and more assistance from the social organizations and government.

Everything will be nice!


- Lâm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful memo from a young man who exudes enthusiasum and warmth for his present position in life. I wish him well! Some day he can be a great ambassador for his "KIDS" and his country.He reminds me of the sweetness that is part of our US olympic runner who overcame HUGE obstacles in Sudan, to be where he is now, in China, carrying the US flag for team USA, as I write this. Keep us posted! Thanks, Kate. Marie Quinn

D. White said...

Rock on Lam! You are bringing exactly the kind of energy that this project needs!

Kate, Jack and the USP team,

You guys are doing an AMAZING job! I've been away from my email for the better part of the week and just had the tremendous pleasure of reading the blog. I can't even begin to tell you how much I wish I could be there to be a part of the pandemonium that is working with these children.

Lots of love,
Dan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments. I very happy to know you all living far from Vietnam are care so much everything in Vietnam. I will try my best as my ability to deserve your hope.
Sincerely.

Jack said...

Yes! Lam!